Oct 23, 2013

Beautiful Messiness

I make no attempt to hide the fact that I'm a neat freak. My sister calls it OCD, but call it what you want, I'm a firm believer in the saying "everything HAS a place and everything IN it's place." But I don't want to live in a museum. I want our home to be a place where people feel welcomed and comfortable just the way they are. If you come over on any given Tuesday, my house is probably more "picked up" than most but not because I'm a tyrant. I'm organized because I work better that way.

You would assume that my office - the room where I spend most of my time, the space where I write and study - would be the most meticulous in the house. I'd probably prefer it that way, but there's just one thing. The room where I spend most of my time makes it the room where everyone spends most of their time. I don't know how many mornings I've looked up to realize that we are all - including the dog - in this one little space in this great big house that's supposed to be "mine." But moms don't have much we call our own, do we?

Mom's bed is the place where they run whey they're scared.
Mom's lap is the best spot to watch tv.
Mom's bathroom makes a better play area than the one upstairs with all the toys.
Mom's brush works better.
Mom's shoes are more fun.
Mom's plate has better food.
Mom's ear is the only one that matters when you need to be heard.
Mom's office makes the best art gallery.

This is my office.

The only reason the cabinets higher up aren't covered is because she hasn't yet climbed that high. Behind where I'm standing, the side of the tall cabinet where you enter the room - it's all filled with at least one layer of art. Beautiful, messy art. This was not the vision I had for this space. But this space gives me better vision. Because it reminds me to be thankful for even the most messy parts of life because in the hand of an Artist...it's beautiful.

Leave a comment and tell me what's beautifully messy in your world.

No comments:

ShareThis