Jun 15, 2011

Mother Earth


When I was young, the earth seemed so big.  My grandma’s house felt forever away.  The pictures I saw in books had no connection to my real life.  Over time, perspective helped me realize that I grew up less than an hour from my grandparents’ house (not exactly a distance of “forever”).  And life has taught me so much more than those pictures in books ever could have.

Yesterday, I went to Panera to work.  Suddenly my computer screen showed I was receiving a call via Skype so I put my headphones in and answered.  While the rest of the restaurant enjoyed their morning coffee, I chatted with my friend Mikele.  That wouldn’t be so noteworthy except that Mikele is halfway around the world right now.  She called me from Europe.

When I got married, I had never been out of the continental US.  I remember sitting in awe on my honeymoon, staring at the Caribbean.  I had never seen the ocean before then.  A few months ago, I flew over the ocean that I now live a few hours from.

A year ago, I couldn’t have found Malaysia on a map.  In February I spent two weeks there – hearing the language, tasting the food and experiencing the people.

I know so much more now because I’ve experienced more.  But my perspective is limited to those experiences.  It all makes me think about Brynna.  Kids know about their parents what we choose to let them experience.  If I don’t share where I’ve been, what I’ve come through and who it’s made me, Brynna won’t have a full understanding of her mom.  If I only give her a painted picture instead of the real me, she will merely have a two-dimensional portrait – like pictures in a book.  Just as I have a new understanding and love of Mother Earth as I learn more about who she is, I pray my relationship with Brynna is the same.  She will know that I can relate, I love her unconditionally and I will always be here.  She will know that because I will let her experience who I am and who she is. 

No comments:

ShareThis