Jun 13, 2011

A week of Fridays


The past few weeks have been hard.  David has traveled more since we moved to DC than he has his entire career.  He’s been out of town at least half the weeks we’ve lived here.  Normally, I relish time to draw away on my own, but when you have a two-year-old, the minutes in the day when you are alone are few and far between.  He has been gone 8 days now and the day after he left, I developed a head cold.  (Doesn’t that always happen?) All that to say, I’ve been one tired girl.  Dishes have gone undone, laundry has piled up and my blog almost forgot my name it’s been so long since I paid it attention.

Then came Friday.  After a busy week of real estate and trying to keep up with my little energizer bunny on my own, I was exhausted.  I missed David; I longed for time with my girlfriends; I wanted to be at home where my sister is visiting my parents; I needed a break.  Brynna loves the park so after a few errands Friday morning, we headed out in search of a place to play.  Normally, taking Brynna to the park is anything but relaxing.  I’m not sure who those moms are that sit on a bench reading while their perfect kids entertain themselves, but my park experiences are the complete opposite.  By the time I’ve pushed the swing, caught my flying child as she jumps from the top of the jungle gym, spun the merry-go-round and pushed the swing some more, I’m ready for a nap about the time she’s ready for Round 2.  This Friday was different, though.  Brynna found a couple kids to run around with and after an initial push on the swing, let me sit and watch.  I didn’t have a book to read, but I wasn’t going to push my luck.  Staring blankly into space was fine by me.  When it was time to go, I told BG she could slide two more times then we had to leave.  When she came running over after the second slide, I kissed her I was so proud.  We headed home, had lunch and she laid down for a nap.  Still not 100% after being sick, I did the same.  That evening, Brynna and I had a picnic in the basement (yes, we sat on top of the coffee table) while we watched Cars.  Contrary to the norm, after Brynna was in bed, I didn’t feel like I’d just run a marathon.  There was a peace I needed desperately and for which I was so grateful.

Friday was a good day.  I could handle a whole week of that kind of Friday.  

No comments:

ShareThis