Nov 11, 2013

Do Whatever

I had several separate and unrelated conversations with girls this weekend about knowing what God wants us to do. The question they asked and we all have is: How do I know what I'm supposed to do? We feel like we pray and ask God, and we still don't have a clear answer. Sometimes that's because we are waiting for God to write it on a neon sign but He rarely works that way. Usually it's because the answer is "whatever."

I strongly believe, and I know more than a few pastors who would back me up on this, that the conversation goes like this:
Me: God, what am I supposed to do?
God: Whatever
Me: But really, God, show me what to do.
God: Whatever you do, I'll...
Me (cutting off God - never a great idea): Why won't you answer me?! God, what do I do?!
God: Calm down, child. I've got you. Just trust me and take a step. Whatever you do, I'll take care of you.
Me (yelling bc clearly God is hard of hearing): God, do you not care how much I hurt?! Do you not see that I need help?! I'm asking - what do I do?
God (whispering bc He'll wait for you to listen but He doesn't yell): whatever...

I'm not making light of serious decisions and their consequences. I'm not suggesting everything is black and white. What I'm saying is that God cares less WHAT you do and more WHY you do it. He wants your heart. He's big enough to fix the repercussions. He wants you - all of you - your doubts and fears, your trust and faith, your strengths and weaknesses. He wants your heart.

So if you find yourself having this conversation with God, ask these questions:
What did God say?
Seek wise counsel, but if you don't know definitively, chances are the answer is: "whatever."
What do you want to do?
We rarely want what God wants, so if Option A seems much easier and more desirable, it's probably Option B.
Why do you not want to do the other?
If your reason for not wanting to act is fear, rebellion, doubt or discomfort, it's highly likely that's the very thing God is trying to help you overcome. But you've got to face it before He can overcome it. 
What happens if you do nothing? 
If you keep doing (or not doing) what you've done, you'll keep getting what you've gotten.
What happens if you act?
If you aren't sure, that's the space where faith begins. And God will always choose faith because He wants you - all of you.


"WHATEVER you do, whether in word or deed, do it ALL in the name of Jesus, giving thanks to God." (Colossians 3:17)

Do whatever, but do something. You'll miss 100% of the shots you never take.

No comments:

ShareThis