Nov 27, 2013

Good Word Wednesday

It's Thanksgiving break. For most people, that means a few days off. The temperature dropped considerably in most areas this week, and colder temps mean more time inside. If you're anything like me, there's one cure for time off when it's cold outside: a good book! I haven't read near as much lately as I'd like but that's mostly due to the 3 ft. blonde person I can't seem to shake. She's cute, but sitting quietly while Mama reads is not on her To Do list...ever. But I have read several good "time off" reads. Here's a few...

Cry No More is one of those books you don't want to end because it's so good, but you need it to end because you haven't slept in 2 days. The end of every chapter leaves you thinking "Well, I need to know what happens. I have to keep going now!" And this continues until about 3 am when someone pokes you and asks if you're ever going to turn off the light. (Or that's what happens at my house.) It's not new, but if you're like me, you heard it mentioned, filed it in the "I'll get to that one day" section of your brain and never have gotten to it. I'm telling you. Get to it.

The Secret Keeper is much the same. Not at all similar in story, but exactly the same obsessive need to find out what happens. The trick with this one is that you don't keep reading just because you want to know more, but because by the time one chapter ends, you are tempted to hate the character that in the last chapter you loved. I often give David the cliff notes of what I'm reading, and with this one he kept asking "so what's happening now?" and my answer was usually, "I'm not sure."

                                                         

If you don't have a little person dogging you at every turn, you might have the luxury of a few more minutes. If you do, and you want more than just one book, a trilogy is always fun. It cures that need for more because when you get to the end, there's another book waiting! (Until you get to the last book. I guess that logic only goes so far.) If a trilogy is what you seek, look no farther, friend. I mentioned Francine Rivers a few weeks ago. One of her most well-known pieces is the Mark of the Lion series. I felt like scenes from Gladiatorwere coming to life in my mind's eye. It's literally one of the best things I've ever read. Ever. And while I am not much for rereading something (I get bored when I know what's going to happen), these books I plan to revisit.

                                              

I hope your Thanksgiving is filled with love, laughter, gratefulness and a good book (or three)!

No comments:

ShareThis