Nov 12, 2013

Blessing Bags

We go to church at least twice a week, and to get there, we drive up a very busy street. Often, while stopped at a traffic light, we are asked for money or help. Have you been there? Did you respond? Dig in your purse? Look at your phone? Or did you even notice? I've been guilty of them all.

What you can tune out yourself, though, you can't ignore when you have kids in the car. Being a parent changes the game in every way. You are no longer just looking past someone's need, you are setting an example for your child to do the same. That conviction took about 37 seconds to sink in to my heart. I never want Brynna to learn to look past someone's need. I always want her to know that I am willing to make sacrifices for others and she should, too. And the irony of where we are usually headed is not lost. I never want to be in such a hurry to get to God's House to love people, that Brynna sees me pass silently by God's people who need love.

So we made blessing bags! I've heard people mention the idea before but never paid enough attention to what goes in them to do it myself. With a little research into organizations who work with the homeless, I learned of some mistakes often made:

  • Don't put fragranced lotions or deodorants in the same bag with food or you end up with an anti-bacterial tasting granola bar. (We solved this by including a separate quart-sized ziploc with toiletries - right side of this photo - so they are separate from food items. We also put mints in this bag because no one wants a peppermint flavored raisin.)
  • Don't put anything that melts or smashes easily (chocolate or crackers) - the bags will be in your car, and your car gets hot. Especially when you live on the equator also known as Houston, TX.
  • Try not to include things that aren't self-contained and/or require utensils - although apple sauce is suggested even without a spoon.
  • Don't add items already in supply (i.e.: soap and shampoo are available at most any shelter).
  • Think about REAL needs, not just the first thing that pops in your head. Or the cheapest thing on the shelf. Gloves that come in a 6 pack don't keep hands very warm. Living on the street means a lot of walking. That makes socks a commodity. That means you don't want anything too heavy, bulky or awkward. It means you likely don't have access to dental care, so items too sticky or chewy are hard to eat. (There is a glaring exception to this rule: beef jerky. Everyone wants beef jerky.)
  • Avoid items often included in bags that can be more harmful than helpful. Mouth wash includes alcohol. Some pain relievers are addictive. 
  • The thing that stuck with me most was the request (by a Christian organization) not to include religious literature. One girl said, "Homelessness does not equal Godlessness. Don't assume anything. Trust that God was on the streets long before you came into the picture." 
With info in hand, we went shopping. And by we, I mean WE. Brynna did each part of the process with me - we shopped, we talked about why one item was better than another, we picked out stickers for the cards we'd make so the people had something special to keep. And when it came time to assemble it all, we spent a Saturday morning as a family making almost 40 bags. David and I assembled and BG made cards. Our finished products went in a large bag that now sits permanently behind the driver's seat of my car. When we see someone in need, I roll down the window, BG grabs a bag, and together, we give a little bit of what God gave us to someone else.

I've learned a lot through our bags, but two things especially:
1. God's got this. Each time BG pokes her little head out of that window, she says "This is for you! God has blessed you!" I started to correct her the first time, but now it's my constant reminder. Not God WILL bless you, but He ALREADY HAS. He sees their need, and He loves them enough to move us to help.
2. Searching is part of rescuing. We've been known to circle a block or do a u-turn because now we don't ignore a need, we seek it out. 


If you're interested, here's the list of what's in our bags and what I got at each store.
From Sam's:
socks (black)
water
fruit juice box
sweet and salty mix (although I learned my lesson and next time it will just be nuts - didn't realize there were M&Ms)
chewy granola bar
applesauce
beef jerky
fruit chews
peppermints
chapstick
bandaids
advil (individual packs)
gallon-sized ziploc bags

From Target:
razor
toothbrush set with toothpaste and floss
hand sanitizer
comb
kleenx
spoons
wipes

If you've done a similar project, leave a comment and tell me what you learned. If you know any other tips, tell me what you did differently.

No comments:

ShareThis