Nov 15, 2013

Shallow Depth of Field

Years ago I started a challenge with a group of photographers. I wanted to capture with words what others capture so beautifully with a camera. Sometimes that's easier said than done, especially when I have no idea what the photography term is! I found a zillion gorgeous pictures and explanations, and as I understand it, the depth of field is the part of the picture that's in focus. You can see a lot through your camera lens, but shallow depth is when all the background stuff gets blurry to focus all the attention on the intended subject. Now THAT, I can relate to.

I've been up and moving since 5am. I've run from one place to another and only just got home. I set a goal to write each day, so I ran in to the computer to meet my day's deadline before hurrying to get dinner ready. I've yet to be able to complete a coherent thought, though. The conversations and remaining items of the day's To Do list are running through my head. I'm thinking about what I need to do tonight and what all has to get done tomorrow. I'm distracted but the fact that I have a lesson to teach Sunday that still needs work. I'm well aware that the dogs haven't eaten AND I REALLY NEED TO PEE. In the midst of my crazy brain ramblings (and nature callings), Brynna keeps interrupting and asking me to play with her. In full disclosure, I brushed her off once and told her to wait another time. I've shushed her more times than I can count. And then I turned to see what she's doing. She's playing with the Playmobil Nativity set she got last Christmas. She's talking to the tiny lego-like figures of Mary, Joseph, Jesus, wise men, angels, etc.

Insert that sound in movies where the scene comes to a screeching halt.

As though the lens in my camera focused suddenly and everything in the background became a blur, I saw my daughter, sitting on the floor, focused on nothing more than talking to Jesus.

How is it that a 4-year-old gets it so much better than we do?
I don't have the answer to that, but I know I'm going to take a note from her playbook. My depth of field just got real shallow. (I'm sure that's very butchered photography speak. Whatever. Go with it.) If you need me, I'll be sitting on the floor, letting everything else take a backseat for a moment while I talk with Brynna and Jesus.

No comments:

ShareThis