Sep 3, 2013

Vacation

I used to think we went on vacation when I was young. I remember camping trips in the summer and lazy days at the lake. I've since learned that we didn't actually go on vacation. We went on family outings. And as my pastor once explained, they are NOT THE SAME THING. Let me clarify:

Vacation:
I have a book that I may or may not read depending entirely on the fact that I may or may not nap.
Family Outing:
I have a book that I can't find and will need to begin again because at this point I've been interrupted so many times I don't remember what was happening in the story.

Vacation:
I wake up, go back to sleep, wake up again and then slowly walk to the pool where someone brings me a drink (preferably containing un umbrella, which is perfectly acceptable since it's likely after noon).
Family Outing:
I'm woken by a 30 lb. spider monkey jumping on my chest and  then make chocolate milk for someone else at 7am.

Vacation:
I eat lunch by the pool and dinner at the restaurant of choice, where I enjoy warm food at whatever pace fits the mood.
Family Outing:
I eat sandwiches for lunch because it's easier and dinner at a restaurant where they serve grilled cheese and you can order at the counter (because when we're done, we need to just be done and not have to wait to pay the check).

Vacation:
I pack cute clothes, matching shoes and determine that if I forgot it, I'll buy one when I get there.
Family Outing:
I pack a cooler because we have to have lactose-free milk, nothing that I don't want to get dirty and determine that the only thing I forgot was my deodorant but we have all 17 princesses and an iPad for the car so it'll just have to be fine.

David and I have been good about taking vacations, and in this season where most of our outings are of "the other" variety, I am grateful for the memories of both. But today...I need a vacation from the family outings.

ps...I'm guessing those camping trips and days at the lake weren't so "lazy" for everyone involved. I've prayed for my parents 12 times today.


No comments:

ShareThis