Feb 14, 2013

Just Enough

I read a story recently about a woman who said goodbye to her dying father for the last time. As the woman walked away, her dad said "I love you enough." When asked why he didn't say more than enough, the man quoted a poem that had been said in his family for generations:

     I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright. 
     I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more. 
     I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive. 
     I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger. 
     I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting. 
     I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess. 
     I wish enough "Hello's" to get you through the final "Good-bye..."


This thought has tugged at my heart for over a year. You may not know it to look at me, but I've had just enough. I may be dressed, taking Brynna here, there and everywhere, but I have just enough. I may smile and even laugh now and then, but it's just enough. Several months ago I found myself crying to God, asking why He would only give me enough to get through one day. I'd collapse at the end of the day, literally overwhelmed at the thought of tomorrow. And one morning, as I asked Him for enough to get through whatever that day held, I got my answer. 

If, in those times of hurt, God wiped all the junk away, made it pretty and sent me on my way, I would do just that. I'd go on MY way. But in the times when I have just enough, it forces me to my knees. In those times, I don't forget to pray. I don't read my Bible because I'm supposed to. I don't sing to Jesus because it's a sweet sentiment. It's those days that I understand that He is my Daily Bread. He's enough for that day so that the next day I'll return just as eagerly.

I prayed this weekend with friends who are struggling in their marriage. I didn't pray that God would make it all better. I prayed He would change them into who He wants them to be and He'd give them enough love, peace, grace and mercy to make it through.

As I pray for my Daily Bread today I'm not asking God to wave a magic wand. I'm thanking Him for being enough.

No comments:

ShareThis