Mar 7, 2011

Home Is Where the Heart Is


It’s after 1am and I can’t sleep.  David is on a plane bound for London, so no one is here to acknowledge how nuts I am for still being awake.  In my insomnia-induced haze, I’ve been reading old posts on my blog.  (We’ll talk later about whether that’s just weird or strangely narcissistic.)  Bottom line: I am sniffling.  Mascara isn’t running but I should probably blow my nose instead of continuing to wipe it on my shirt sleeve.  (I know, gross.  Sorry to be graphic.)  Anyway…it’s rare that I cry, so a sniffle is pretty significant.  It’s sad snot.  I miss home.

I made a commitment not to call Dallas “home” as a show of acceptance that DC is now our home.  This is not a temporary move or short-term vacation.  We live in Virginia, no longer in Texas.  And for the most part, I’ve stuck to that verbiage.  But when I talk about DC Metro (our new church), I sometimes catch myself saying “you,” still referring to the way “we” do it at Fellowship.  When I am in need of adult conversation instead of toddler-speak, I can’t help but think of the differences in cost of living and wish I were “home” where daycare was more affordable.    When I’m panting at the top of the 3rd floor, I miss my house with more room than we needed and no stairs.  When I don’t know a new place to eat or can’t get to an unknown location without my GPS, I find myself pouting a little, knowing I could get anywhere in Dallas with my eyes closed.

I am so blessed to have started some great new friendships already.  Tomorrow, Brynna is going to spend a couple hours at Esther’s house with her little people, Samuel and Reagan.  I’m so grateful for that, but unlike leaving BG with Kim, Jami, Stephanie, Janay, Deb or a plethora of other people, I feel a little guilty for asking. 

I was told when I arrived that I would most likely form a small allegiance to one grocery store – you’re either a Harris Teeter, Whole Foods or Giant shopper.  For convenience and one-stop shopping, I fall in the Harris Teeter fan club.  (Let’s not get into that name.  It took me a good 3 weeks to overcome it and the subject is still touchy.)  But even though I can get free-range eggs, shampoo and Easy Mac at the same place, sometimes I’d still just prefer Central Market.

But mostly…I miss my girls.  I want to go shopping with Tania for the settee I’m planning to add in the kitchen nook.  I want to go to the park and talk to Kim while BG swings with Jackson and Laila.  I want to laugh with Yanci after church ‘til there’s no one left in the atrium but Brynna, Sterling and Kingston running in circles.  I want to go to the Arboretum with Jami, Eisley and Beck.  I want to hold Malosi and Colton.  I want to sit on the porch swing under a blanket with Mikele and Cheri.  I want to spend this week David is out of town in Tulsa with Hope and Brandy, hugging Hannah, playing with MacKie and hearing all the new words NiNa can say.  I want to go to lunch with Janay.  I want to go shopping with Janay.  I want to watch stupid TV with Janay.  And my little girl – let’s not even start – I want to hug Taylor.

So now the sniffles have officially turned to puddles about to spill over my tear ducts.  (Yes, I am so annoyed to cry that I choose to describe it in this way.)

My resolve has not changed – I know God sent us to DC, and I am grateful He trusts us enough to use us.  I am honored to obey Him.  I am blessed this is my home now and I will continue to put down roots. 

But tonight (or this morning…whatever), I miss home.

3 comments:

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

sending hugs from a past "home"...home is where the heart is.

it will get easier. it always does but it's ok to "mourn" what once was. allow yourself that. allow yourself the tears.

hugs girlie!!!

Unknown said...

Sweet Reggie,
go ahead and let yourself cry it really does help (speaking from experience) :)
and here is something to think about....if we didn't miss someone or something we left, we would never realize how precious and important those moments in time are. Celebrate the memories of friendships, those special ones will change, but will last. Embrace the new...like I know you are and somewhere the new and the old blend and your circle expands. I hope that makes sense.
Love you lots!!!

. said...

I didn't meet you long enough to get to know you... but we've just moved from Austin, Texas... here for about 6 months now... and struggling with many of the same things. Would love to get to know you better, and figure out how to make this home along with you :)

ShareThis