Mar 4, 2011

Signs


Zoe Regina.
My niece.
My namesake.
The meaning of her name is “life” and “queen.”
God created her to live a royal life.
God doesn’t make mistakes.
He uses the imperfections of our world to show grace, do good and bring glory.
He gives us SIGNS and wonders…

Signs.
Two years ago.
A shiny, bald head, peeling fingernails and pale skin.
Wouldn’t – and couldn’t – eat, no matter how hard we tried.
So skinny.  Too skinny.
Burned.
Scarred.
Afraid.
In pain.
Tubes and machines.
Signs of disease.
Signs of hurt and need.


Signs.
Last week.
Arguing over combing her hair.
Hair that almost touches her shoulders.
Giggles.
Races.
Climbing.
Appetite.
Asking about dinner in the middle of lunch.
Tanned skin from swinging in the sun.
Skinned knees from running and playing.
Jumping in a bounce house.
“I did it, Gigi!”
No back brace.
No evidence of disease.
Clean scans.
Signs of healing.
Signs of joy and restoration.


Signs…and wonders.
Signs I promise not to forget.
Signs for which I will forever be thankful.
Signs I don’t ever want to take for granted.
Not by the hands of men.
Not by hard work or strong will.
Not by any one of us.
Signs.
and Wonders.

Therefore, in Jesus I have found reason to boast.
 I won’t tell stories of anything but that which I’ve seen firsthand – lives changed
by His signs and wonders.
 But because I’ve seen it, I have to shout it
so those who don’t know Him can see
and those who have heard can understand!
Romans 15:17-21*.



*paraphrase mine

3 comments:

MaddiePie Creations said...

Regina,

I'm a photograher for a group called Inspiration Through Art...I think your niece is Hero that we would love to welcome in.

www.inspirationthroughart.org

xoxo
Brooke

Brittney @ britandtheboys said...

Great post Regi.. love u

Vikki said...

It doesn't seem to matter how long ago it was, seeing old pics and hearing about it still stirs up so much emotion for me. With tears streaming down my face, I am happy that the signs we used to see are so very different than what I have today in my little Zoe. Stronger than ever with fading scars. Love you Regi!

ShareThis