Dec 10, 2013

Dinner Diversions

Eating a meal with Brynna is always...an event. We used to think that when she got to school, it would help alleviate some of her "quirks." Instead, however, she is completely unaffected by peer pressure. It doesn't bother her at all that she brings a sandwich, fruit and vegetable everyday. It doesn't hurt her feelings not to have the chip or cookie someone else's mom packed. On the day they had a pizza party she told me she would try one bite - just one. In a moment of disbelief I encouraged her, "Great job, Brynna! That's all we ask!" She replied, "Ok. I'll try one bite of pizza for you Mama. When I'm 17."

Awesome. I packed a sandwich, fruit and vegetable.

I love her spunk. I am proud beyond words that she doesn't mind being different and isn't swayed or persuaded by other kids. I just want her to eat. One meal without having to force the issue. One dinner without drama. I'm sure some of you are thinking that I'm just not strict enough and if she won't eat what I make, she doesn't eat. Brynna comes by her will naturally. Hers is strong because mine is too. We've had knock-down drag-out wait-all-night-if-it-takes-that-long meals. We've repeated the same food at multiple meals until it's eaten. We've tried forcing the issue. We've tried minimizing it to not reward attention-seeking. And when she was 1, she underwent gastroscopic surgery because doctors thought she may have a tear in her esophagus causing pain BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T EAT FOR A MONTH.

Needless to say, food is something we deal with. It's not a battle as much anymore. She's learning who's in charge (me) and who's not (her). She's learning that I will allow her room to be herself but she has to do so within the boundaries we set. She's learning that I will only make her try new things at certain times but when I do, we're not leaving until it's done. She's stubborn. She's not dumb. She knows that when we sit down to eat, that's what we are doing. But that doesn't keep her from trying every excuse in the book. As proof, I give you last night's attempted dinner diversions.

I'm cold.
My food is too hot.
My dress is dirty.
The food is spicy.
I need a new fork for my green beans; this one touched my oranges.
My food isn't good.
I'm not 5 years old.
This food is so good (that I want to stop and talk about it, therefore, still not eating it).
I can blink my eyes really fast.
I need to tell you a story about Kaitlin on the playground today.
Hot pink is my favorite color but my plate is purple.
I'm hot.
My food is too cold.
Michael (my imaginary brother) wants a bite.
Miles (the dog) wants a bite.
If I eat all the food, my plate will be lonely.
The butterflies (bow tie pasta) want to dance.
I hear something outside.
It's not snowing.
I need to count how many green beans there are.
Zoe likes ice cream like I do.
AJ's Spider Man shoes light up.
I lost count. I need to count the green beans again.
I need to count how many butterflies are left so the green beans aren't lonely.

I'M NOT KIDDING. This is not a fabrication for the sake of a good story or to prove a point. I literally had my phone beside me and typed as she rambled.

And then I stabbed myself with my fork.


Does your kid have any quirks? Or am I the only one?

No comments:

ShareThis