Dec 9, 2010

Top Ten Things I'll Miss the Most: Part 2

#9 - Snow Days (the kind where it snows so you don't have to go to work for days)

I am working in the office while movers pack my things into boxes all around me.  With doors opening and closing, the men packing, lifting and carrying, I turned the heater off earlier.  They were hot and I figured I could bear the chill for a few hours.  So it's almost 60 degrees outside, and I'm wearing a sweatshirt.

Weather was one of the things we were excited about first when this move was initially proposed.  David has lived in Texas most of this life, and I grew up in tropical Tulsa, OK.  The thought of living in a place with all four seasons sounded like a great new adventure.  As reality sinks in, though, the adventure is sounding less exciting and more...well...COLD.  As I am sitting in 60-degree Dallas in my sweatshirt, it's freezing in DC.  Literally.  The windchill has been in the teens the past week.

In Texas (and Oklahoma), we are not afraid to take advantage of those snow days built into a school year.  If it's rainy on a cold day, we'll cancel the next day of school just in anticipation of ice.  If it snows on a Friday afternoon, clear your schedule.  We may cancel school for Monday.  And if school is closed, you can bet work is, too.  We don't reserve the fun for children.  Banks, churches and half of downtown will head home to hibernate.  There are some who believe this makes us whimps.  There are East Coast transplants among us who would have us believe we are lesser individuals for staying inside.  I don't see it that way at all.  I see it as the one time a year that others join me in my quest to avoid cold and wet situations at all costs.

I'm moving to a place where it gets colder and wetter than here.  I'm moving to a place where winter lasts longer than a few weeks.  I'm moving to a place where no one will join me in my quest.  While I may learn to go outside in my rain boots rather than just wearing them inside on wet days, don't expect me to do it often.  And don't expect me to like it.

No comments:

ShareThis