Mar 2, 2012

Happy Day to Drink Beer

Every now and then a day comes along that reminds me again that while most of my adult life was spent in Texas and I'm probably more Texan than Oklahoman, Indianan, East Coast or any of the other places I've lived, I was not born and bred in the Lone Star State.  Today is one of those days.  I woke up before 8am to my phone vibrating away with tweets.  What was so important to say at dawn?  It wasn't family calling with great news or even an emergency.  These beautiful people that I love wanted to wish the world (and by world, I mean Texas) "Happy Texas Independence Day!"

Now before you ask...no, I don't actually know why we have Texas Independence Day.  I know my friend Janay can answer that technical question because she's a genius freak of nature and remembers everything she's ever heard in great detail.  So I'll leave the specifics to her.  (Or any child over 3 who has been educated in Texas.  Because Texas History starts as soon as you can spell your own name.)  What I know is that this day is like the stars painted on virtually every highway overpass in the state of Texas.  It's a representation of just how crazy Texans can be about pride in their state.  I've been overseas and all over the US.  I've never visited a place so in love with their home.  But is that really so wrong?  Home is a pretty great thing to have pride in.

When I first moved to Texas, I hated that pride because I didn't understand it.  I didn't dislike where I was raised, but I wasn't so in love that I felt bad for those unfortunate enough to be born somewhere else.  I got some genuine pity as a newcomer.  But then I lived there awhile and I must admit...I have some of that crazy pride inside of me.  I really do feel bad for people who haven't gotten to experience being on our team.

But although I love Texas and consider it a part of my heart, I have to tell a secret.  It's something that only Texans can admit about Texans.  (It's like that rule that you can call your brother names but will fight if anyone else does.)  So here's the secret.  Don't tell them I was the one who spilled the beans.  Texans will celebrate just about any day if it gives them a reason to drink beer.  Today they raise their mugs because we are independent of Mexico.  In a few months, they will drink beer because it's Cinco de Mayo.  Half the people drunk at the bar have no idea what they are celebrating, but beer will be consumed.  July 4th there will be more beer (and a little confusion as they vaguely remember celebrating Independence Day in March.)  Summer in Texas is reason to raise a glass in and of itself - you're dying of heat exhaustion, you might as well have a beer.  Football season - don't even get me started.  Beer to celebrate a win and beer to drown the sorrow of a loss. Basketball season - beer because it's not football season.  And the piece d'resistance comes in two weeks.  I've never seen more non-Irish people in my life.  But there will be floats, parades and whole sections of town shut down.  Why?  Because on St. Patricks Day, you drink beer.

So, to my Texas family...Happy Independence Day!  And more importantly...Cheers!
(I'll toast a margarita.  I don't drink beer.)

1 comment:

Janay McDonald Wilborn said...

Yes, they can ask me. In fact, they can just read my blog (janaymcdonaldwilborn.blogspot.com) today. Happy Texas Independence Day, my Oklahoma friend. And by the way, we love having you on our team. Now, I'm off to buy a six pack. :)

ShareThis