Feb 28, 2012

Armor Bearer


I’ve heard the term.  I’ve seen it carried out.  I’ve read books on the subject.  Armor Bearer.  It’s a military term that’s become a church word.   Originally, the biblical term was translated from the Hebrew word nasa – to figuratively or literally lift up, support or help.  When leaders went into war, the armor bearer would go before them, carry their weapons, fight alongside to aid and protect.  Today, armor bearers are the topic of much debate.  Do pastors and other church leaders need someone to follow them around and carry a glass of water and a Bible?  Does speaking to a group of people require military-like protection, even if figurative?  I’ve debated both sides of the issue.  (One of the best results of my years spent in Speech & Debate; I can argue pretty much any side of any issue.)

But today, the concept took on new meaning for me.  God called me into battle not to fight on my own behalf but to protect His chosen leader.  I can almost see the metaphoric battle ground.  Think less Gladiator and more G.I. Jane…

The Commander chose a leader to empower troops and conquer ground.  He trained the leader, put her through boot camp, gave her all she’d need to win battles, nurtured her until the leader was strong enough to go.  And just as she was putting on her gear, a bullet came out of nowhere.  Not even on the battlefield, and the enemy took a cheap shot.  The blow was less painful and more distracting, but it did the trick.  The leader momentarily stopped moving forward to deal with the attack.  But what the enemy didn’t anticipate was that the Commander, knowing the other team plays dirty had prepared one to fight alongside the leader – not to take her place but shield future blows, carry extra weapons and wipe away the blood, sweat and tears when necessary.  The armor bearer, not understanding the importance of her job, was also caught off-guard by this first minor attack.  Rather than standing ready, she stopped to get the leader a Band-Aid.  And for a moment, the enemy didn’t need to fire another shot.  He didn’t need to wage an attack.  The leader wasn’t a threat if she wasn’t moving.  And the armor bearer was nothing to worry about if she wouldn’t fight back… 

…until she did.  And just as the Commander designed, once the armor bearer began to fight fire with fire, the leader was able to regroup, press on, rally the troops.  It didn’t mean the bullets stopped coming.  But it did mean the leader had someone in her corner, watching her back so she could begin to conquer ground as she had been trained to do.

Armor bearers weren’t much of an issue to me before today because I was never asked to be one.  I serve my pastor; I support and honor my leaders.  I’ve even fought on behalf of others or a cause. But I’ve never been asked to stand at the ready, in the heat of battle and fiercely defend someone else’s ability to obey.  Today, I got those marching orders.  God told me my job is not to bend down and get Band-Aids.  My job is to be ready for the next attack, be it a cheap shot or straightforward.  My job is not just to hold a glass of water and a Bible.  My job is to pray – hard – not for myself but to protect the calling of God’s chosen leader.

People argue about armor bearers because they say leaders are arrogant to allow someone to fill that role.  But it’s not about the leader.  It’s not about the armor bearer.  It’s about the ground she’s been sent to conquer and the glory the Commander will receive when she’s successful.

No comments:

ShareThis