Jul 14, 2010

Pigtails


This past week, I put Brynna's hair in pigtails for the first time. I thought it was so adorable, I've subjected the poor girl daily to the scalp-reddening, face-lifting torture I hated growing up. As I wrestled my little ball of energy into the necessary leg hold this morning, my niece Zoe announced that she, too, wanted pigtails. And not only did she want pigtails "just like Brynna" but she wanted the bows and all. Now, I know what you're thinking...what's so special about two little girls and some pigtails? Well Zoe's is no ordinary head of hair. The Bible says that God knows every hair on our head. In Zoe's case, her mommy and I and her daddy and grandparents also know those hairs. We prayed for them and watched them grow one by one, a daily reminder of the healing work God did. A year ago, Zoe didn't have hair. A year ago, Zoe laid in a hospital bed battling a cancer that we all had grown to hate. A year ago, I painted her nails as they peeled away, a result of the chemo and radiation in her little body. That was as girlie as we got...a year ago. Today...she had pigtails! It took a minute for Vikki and I to figure out how to accomplish such a task, but in true Mom fashion, we made it up! And in my humble opinion, there isn't a cuter pair of pigtailed girls!

(p.s. - Sorry for the poor picture quality. The only time they were still was when strapped in a carseat. The rest of the day was spent chasing and otherwise torturing Zoe's little brother.)

No comments:

ShareThis