Dec 20, 2009

I'm Grateful

When I was in middle school, my friends and I made up a game. We'd walk up to friends, teachers, strangers at the mall...and ask them to tell us one thing for which they are grateful. We usually played it on a day that we were upset. For whatever trivial Jr. high reason, we'd had a bad day, so we would declare it "I'm Grateful Day" and play our game to feel better. In the meantime, we often made a lot of other people feel better, too. This week marks three large milestones, and I think it's time for a Grateful Day. Here's mine...what are you grateful for?

It is Christmas - the day we set aside to honor the decision God made to save us. He didn't have to, but he chose to send His Son to become human. He came for the sole reason of saving my messed up, reckless, undeserving life. He chose to come even though He knew He'd die. I'm so grateful He did. I'm so grateful He didn't take the easy way out as I often do. I'm grateful He stopped at nothing to save me. I'm grateful He lets me live the amazing life I do.

I'm a mom - 9 months ago I wasn't. I'm grateful my house is filled with the sounds of someone learning and discovering something new each day (even when what she's discovering is the dishwasher and she's trying to crawl in). I'm grateful that on the hardest days, I will never go without smiling. God didn't have to bless me with the ability to have a child. I'm so grateful He did.

Zoe is cancer free. Exactly one year ago, my family began the hardest journey we've faced to date. In a matter of days, my niece went from a normal, happy 2-year-old to one unable to walk. On December 21st, doctors found a tumor on her spine and operated to remove what they could. We later learned Zoe's tumor was cancerous and in January of this year, she began a treatment plan of chemotherapy and proton radiation. Today, doctors call her a NED - she has No Evidence of Disease. Today, my sister is aware of a strength she didn't know she had before. Today, my family is closer than ever. Today, I don't pray because it sounds nice; I pray because I know firsthand that we couldn't have lived without Him. Today, my heart feels a little too full...I'm so GRATEFUL.

1 comment:

Vikki said...

I am grateful for the tears rolling down my face right now because they are happy tears and not the scary, unknown they were a year ago. I am grateful to a family who CHOSE to love me and support me through everything, even when it isn't easy. And mostly I am grateful God got me through the hardest part of my life and gave me a miracle! Thank for healing my baby girl!!!!

ShareThis