May 26, 2011

Reasons I would not make a good judge on SYTYCD

Tonight was the first episode of So You Think You Can Dance Season 8.  As we sat down to watch, I let out a little squeal of excitement (not uncommon during SYTYCD season).  David looked at me, smiled and said, "Come this time of year, I know exactly where I rank.  It's ok.  I'm man enough to accept my position."  God love him for that.  :)


While anyone who knows me will testify to my open and honest critiques, there is one thing I'm certain of - I would never make it as a live judge.  Why?


1.  My face lacks the ability to lie.  Even when I suave it up with nice words, what I really think is always plastered straight across my face.  Janay catches me sometimes and tells me to "school my face."  I try, but it usually wins.  Before I even realize what my opinion is, it's broadcast to the world right there in an expression.


2.  I lack any and all compassion for a sob story.  Even if that story is legitimately sad, I can't stand that we are spending precious time that could be spent listening to Tyce's commentary on something that has no bearing on your ability to (or more often, NOT to) dance.  


3.  While I can't stand a sob story, I am a sucker for a kid who has overcome.  Give me a young person who was given nothing easily, had the option to quit but chose to grow up any day!  I love them just for the courage to do something that kids with all the support in the world wouldn't often try.  I love the humble confidence they have had to develop but don't take for granted.  Favortism?  Yes.


Other than that, I'm a shoo-in!

1 comment:

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

lol!!! i hestitated to read this afraid it would be an episode tell all...but alas it wasnt. cant wait to watch.

ill just plan on you keepin you day job for now then, right?

ShareThis